General Eyecare And Screening
Comprehensive Adult Eye Screening
EyeWise Vision Clinic provides a variety of comprehensive eye screening packages to suit your needs and budget. All our eye-screening examinations are conducted with equipment and apparatus by our medical professionals, inclusive of our doctor’s consultation.
Regular eye screening assessment is a preventive measure in arresting any medical or health problems that may arise. If you suspect that you are experiencing any visual inadequacy, vision fatigue, visual underperforming or suspect any complications. Why not come down for a comprehensive eye screening at EyeWise Vision now? Come down for your visual check up today!
Special note for adult eye screening
1) Screening is recommended for adults 40 years and above.
2) Screening takes about 60-80 mins.
3) Due to dilation, adults are recommended not to drive or operate equipment/machinery after the screening.
***Please enquire personally at (65) 64761211 for professional career specific eye checks. ie. Drivers’ licence, Pilots licence, Dental surgeons/ Engineers/ Technicians who need certification for laser equipment usage, or students who are travelling overseas for university entry requirements.
Occupational Eye Screening
Understanding the link between eye health and workplace productivity is critical. That’s why EyeWise Vision Clinic Singapore offers occupational eye screening packages to identify visual abilities below the standard for safe work performance.
Occupational eye screening at EyeWise Vision Clinic is a comprehensive process designed to identify any visual ability decline that might affect workplace efficiency. Ths eye check up ensures that your visual ability meets the standards needed for an effective level of productivity. Early identification of any vision-related issues allows for timely intervention, preventing further vision loss and enhancing workplace productivity and the quality of your job performance. Our eye screening packages offer various services in Singapore, from basic vision tests to more complex eye examinations, all aimed at safeguarding your occupational health.
Children Eye Screening
EyeWise Vision Clinic understands the extra visual pressures children today face in this highly academic and technological world. Children at a tender age are expected to read, write & do many near vision activities like computer work or television/gaming monitor viewing. Thus we are a medical centre in Singapore that provides a variety of paediatric comprehensive eye screening to suit your child’s needs and the parents’ budget.
Our eye screening and eyesight test examinations are conducted by medical professionals in Singapore using reliable equipment/apparatus and are inclusive of our doctor’s consultation. Regular eye screening assessment is a preventive measure in arresting any medical or health problems that may arise. If you suspect your child is experiencing any visual inadequacy, vision underperforming in school or suspect any complications. Please call for a screening test now. Parental instincts are often right. You know your child best. Why not come down for a comprehensive eye screening at EyeWise Vision now? Come down for your eye check up today! Give your kid’s eyes a break!
Special note for children eye screening
1) Screening is for children 4 years and above.
2) The screening takes between 2-3 hours, depending on the child’s age and co -operation.
3) Please make your appointments at a time suitable and appropriate for your child i.e. when the child is well rested and well fed.
4) Parents are advised to keep the other siblings at home, as the patient may get distracted.
5) Parents are advised to be highly caring, supportive and understanding during the eye screening. Please do not make lunch or tea appointments immediately after the children screening, as the child needs to rest, due to the need for the dilation drops to wear off.
* Complementary copy of the children’s book entitled “Johnny Can See – A visit to the eye doctor”, Benita Fong, 2009, Candid Kids Publication LLP, Singapore. (Official book launch on 25 Sept 2009 at all major book stores)
** Recommended for children with learning needs or special reading problems.
Eye Screening For Children With Learning NeedsIn addition, we are also an eye clinic that provides screening for children with learning needs. We do eye screening tests for certain educational and remedial schools/tuition centres in Singapore. For more information, please surf under our eye services for visual eye screening tests for children with learning needs or reading difficulties, such as dyslexia.
Eye Tests We OfferEyeWise Vision Clinic offers eye screening packages in Singapore to give you a holistic understanding of your eye health. Each test is conducted with care, ensuring you walk away with actionable insights into your visual health.
About Dr Christopher Khng
Dr. Christopher Khng, specialises in Complex Cataract and Anterior Segment Reconstruction Surgery, in particular, Iris Reconstruction and Surgery for Aniridia. His other areas of expertise include Complex Lens surgery, New Lens and Phacoemulsification technologies, Refractive surgery, Phakic IOLs (the Implantable Collamer Lens, ICL), and small-incision, topical anaesthesia phacoemulsification cataract surgery.
He completed his first two years of medical undergraduate studies in Aberdeen University, Scotland (UK). Because of cost, he completed his medical degrees of MBBS at National University of Singapore (NUS).
Dr. Khng served as Registrar, then Associate Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at the Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC). Following his stint in SNEC, Dr. Khng was a Consultant at The Eye Institute, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore.
Dr Christopher Khng
MBBS, M.Med(Ophth), FRCS(Edin), AMS(Ophth 2003) Consultant Ophthalmologist
Visual Acuity Test
The Visual Acuity Test is the cornerstone of any eye check-up. By asking the patient to read letters from a chart at varying distances, it measures the clarity of each eye’s vision. If the test reveals a vision less than optimal, further diagnostic tests are conducted to determine the cause and suggest corrective measures.
During this eye examination, lenses of varying strengths are placed in front of the eyes, and the patient’s reactions are monitored to detect any refractive errors. This helps identify common issues like myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), and astigmatism. Based on the test results, suitable lenses or other treatments can be prescribed to improve vision.
Fundus and Optic Nerve Photography
Utilising specialised cameras, this eye screening captures high-resolution images of the back of the eye, including the retina and optic nerve. These images are critical for detecting early-stage diseases like glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration. The detailed photographs can be compared over time to monitor the progress of any eye conditions.
Through a series of images or patterns, this eye test diagnoses colour blindness and the inability to perceive certain shades. This is crucial in careers like graphic design, piloting, and medical fields in Singapore.
For this eye check up, patients are asked to stare at a grid while covering one eye, focusing on the centre dot. Any distortion or bending of lines can indicate conditions like macular degeneration or other issues affecting the macula, the central part of the eye’s retina.
Optical Coherence Tomography of the Macula
This non-invasive imaging eye screening uses light waves to capture micrometre-resolution, cross-sectional images of the macula. It is vital for diagnosing and tracking diseases like macular holes, oedema, and macular degeneration.
Optical Coherence Tomography of the Optic Nerve
Similar to the previous eye screening, this focuses solely on the optic nerve, providing detailed images critical for identifying glaucoma and optic neuritis.
Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography
This advanced eye test offers a 360-degree view of the eye’s anterior (front) segment. It is invaluable for diagnosing and managing cornea, iris, and lens conditions.
Visual Field Test
This eye screening measures the full horizontal and vertical range of what a person can see peripherally. It’s often used to diagnose or monitor the progression of conditions like glaucoma and peripheral retinal diseases.
Why Regular Eye Check-Ups Matter
Taking care of your eyes should be a regular part of your health routine. Here’s why scheduling consistent eye check-ups in Singapore is vital for maintaining eye health.
- Early Detection of Eye Conditions: Regular eye check-ups are a proactive measure for early detection of potential eye problems, leading to timely intervention and preventing vision loss.
- Gauging Vision Quality: An eyesight test can assess the quality of your vision, making it easier to update prescriptions for glasses or contact lenses.
- Systemic Health Monitoring: A comprehensive eye examination can reveal signs of systemic conditions like diabetes or hypertension, allowing for early intervention.
- Age-Related Changes: Regular eye screening helps to monitor age-related changes in eye health, offering proactive management options.
- Lifestyle Alignment: Your lifestyle choices, such as screen time and diet, significantly impact your eye health. An eye check-up guide aligns your lifestyle for long-term eye health.
- Peace of Mind: Regular eye screening confirms that you’re taking the necessary steps to maintain your eye health.
Eye Conditions Detected By Eye Examinations
Knowledge is power, especially when it comes to your health. Take a look at the various eye conditions that can be detected early through comprehensive eye examinations in Singapore.
- Glaucoma: Screening for Glaucoma, a condition that can lead to blindness if untreated, is a crucial part of any eye screening package.
- Cataracts: Early signs of cataracts can be detected during a standard eye check-up, allowing for timely intervention and treatment planning.
- Macular Degeneration: Regular eye tests can pick up on age-related conditions affecting the central vision, such as macular degeneration.
- Diabetic Retinopathy: For those with diabetes, eye tests can detect early signs of diabetic retinopathy, enabling prompt intervention.
- Refractive Errors: Conditions like myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism can be diagnosed through a comprehensive eyesight test, leading to appropriate corrective measures.
- Dry Eyes or Allergies: Symptoms such as itchiness, redness, or a burning sensation can often be evaluated during a standard eye check-up, allowing for targeted treatments.
- Conjunctivitis and Other Infections: Eye examinations can promptly identify symptoms of eye infections like conjunctivitis, providing immediate treatment to prevent the spread of infection.
Eye Examination FAQs
Adults should aim for a comprehensive eye screening every one to two years, even if they don’t experience noticeable vision changes. The frequency may increase for those over 40 or individuals with risk factors such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or a family history of eye disease. Regular check ups are crucial for early detection and timely treatment of eye conditions.
Yes, regular eye screenings are instrumental in the early detection of severe eye conditions like glaucoma, cataracts, and macular degeneration. Identifying issues in their initial stages helps in the prevention of further vision loss. These screenings are a proactive approach to maintaining your eye health and overall quality of life.
Regular eye tests are essential for preventive care, even if your eyes seem fine. Many eye conditions like glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration can develop silently, showing symptoms only in the later stages. Routine eye screenings can catch these and other issues early, reducing the risk of vision loss.
Should the screening uncover an eye problem, your eye specialist may recommend additional tests and screenings for a clearer diagnosis or refer you to an ophthalmologist. Treatment options may include prescription medication, corrective lenses, or surgical procedures, depending on the severity and type of the condition detected.